Quick Solutions that Improve Conference Room Acoustics


In today’s fast-paced working environment, conference rooms are one of the most important spaces in any office. They are used for meetings, presentations, and brainstorming sessions, among other things. Unfortunately, many conference rooms suffer from poor acoustics, which can make it difficult for participants to hear and understand each other. This can lead to frustration, lost time, and decreased productivity. However, there are simple solutions that can significantly improve conference room acoustics, making meetings more efficient and effective. In this article, we will explore some solutions that can be implemented quickly and easily.

Sound Proofing vs. Acoustics Improvement

Before delving into the solutions, it’s important to understand the difference between soundproofing and acoustics improvement. Soundproofing refers to blocking sound from entering or leaving a room. It is useful in situations where confidentiality is important, or where a loud environment would be disruptive to others. Acoustics improvement, on the other hand, focuses on the way sound travels within a room. It aims to reduce echoes, reverberations, and other distortions that can make speech difficult to understand. In a conference room, acoustics improvement is typically the more important goal.

Simple Solutions To Improving Conference Room Acoustics

1. Add Acoustic Panels

One of the most effective ways to improve conference room acoustics is to install acoustic panels. These are special panels that absorb sound waves, reducing echoes and other distortions. Acoustic panels are available in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colours, so they can be customized to fit any conference room decor. They can be mounted on walls, ceilings, or even placed on stands. Acoustic panels are relatively inexpensive and can be installed quickly and easily.

2. Use Carpets and Curtains

Another simple way to improve conference room acoustics is to add carpets and curtains. These soft materials help to absorb sound waves, reducing echoes and other distortions. Carpets can be installed wall-to-wall, or in specific areas that are most important for meetings. Curtains can be added to windows or hung on walls to help absorb sound. These materials not only improve acoustics but can also add a touch of warmth and comfort to the conference room.

3. Position Speakers and Microphones Properly

When using audio equipment in a conference room, it’s important to position speakers and microphones properly. Speakers should be placed at ear level, facing the participants, and away from reflective surfaces such as walls or windows. Microphones should be placed close to the speaker’s mouth, but not too close, to avoid distortion. It’s also important to choose high-quality audio equipment that can handle the acoustics of the room. Proper placement and quality equipment can significantly improve the clarity of speech in a conference room.

4. You Can Mask External Noise by Incorporating “White Noise”

In addition to absorbing sound waves, incorporating “white noise” can also help improve conference room acoustics. White noise is a continuous, low-level sound that is used to mask unwanted external noise and create a more comfortable and focused environment. This can be achieved by using a small water feature, a recording of soft background sounds such as waves or rain, or even a specially designed white noise machine. By masking external noise, participants can better focus on the meeting and communicate more effectively.


Improving conference room acoustics is essential for ensuring effective communication and productivity. The simple solutions discussed in this article – adding sound-absorbing materials, rearranging furniture, and using technology – are practical and cost-effective ways to improve acoustics. 

By implementing these solutions, the reverberation time in the room can be reduced, leading to better speech intelligibility and reducing distractions. Furthermore, these solutions can be customized to fit the needs of any conference room, making them flexible and adaptable solutions. Investing in better conference room acoustics can lead to significant benefits for businesses, including increased productivity, better communication, and improved client satisfaction. If all else fails, working with an acoustics professional is the key. 

If you need sustainable acoustic products, contact Sound Zero. We are a b2b acoustics (soundproofing) company, around 80% of our work is in offices, with the other 20% coming from things like music studios, podcast studios, home cinemas, music venues etc.

Speak to us about improving your acoustic environment

If you’d like to talk to one of our experts, either give us a call on 020 3984 2000, email us info@sound-zero.com or fill out the form and we'll get back to you ASAP.